Let’s Talk About Flecks, Baby!
Shimmers and Flecks are a great way to add depth and dimension to your inclusions, not to mention making it more personal. They’re a fun way to add texture to your keepsake, but it’s important to understand the difference between the two.
Flecks are large visible pieces of iridescents that sit suspended in your inclusion. There is no pigment, but the coloured flecks do reflect light to “tint” the surrounding inclusion. The finished product is a stunning stone with the appearance of an opal.
Shimmers on the other hand are pigments with some of the finest quality glitter to add shimmer. The glitter pieces are so fine that they blend easily with the surrounding inclusion. The finished product is a stunning stone with the faintest sparkle finish.
Shimmers are highly recommended in the use of cremation ashes to “soften” the look. If you’re not interested in “colouring” your inclusion (milk or ashes) but want to add a slight shimmer, we do have a “colourless” shimmer called “Starlight” which is available. You can also use shimmers or flecks to represent birthstones or your favourite colour.
The colour of your inclusion may alter the look or appearance of the finished product. A dark inclusion (such as ashes) mixed with a light-coloured shimmer will result in a darker coloured stone. As opposite, a light coloured inclusion (like breast milk) will create a light-coloured stone.
Like any artistic process, there is no way to guarantee a certain “look”, as the stone sets; it takes on a mind of its own.
Below is a list of all the different Flecks and Shimmers that we offer. Please note that all screens display colours differently and final product may differ from screen to in person.
1. Galaxy Flecks – Base of purple with hints of blue.
2. Neptune Flecks – Base of light blue with hints of lavender and green.
3. Uranus Flecks – Base of blue with hints of green.
4. Comet Flecks – Rainbow base pick up light with hints of blue and gold.
5. Mars Flecks – Base of red with hints of pink and gold.
6. Halley Flecks – Base of white with hints of blue and purple.
7. Jupiter Flecks – Base of green with hints of gold.
8. Pulsar Flecks – Base of lime green with hints of gold.
9. Nebula Flecks – Base of pink with hints of purple and rainbow.
10. Meteor Flecks – Base of dark green with hints of blue.
11. Saturn Flecks – Base of yellow with hints of gold.
12. Aurora Flecks – Base of lavender with hints of gold and green.
13. Dark Moon Flecks - Base of black with vibrant rainbow hints
14. Mercury Flecks - Base of silver with hints of rainbow.
15. 3PO Flecks - Base of gold with hints of rainbow.
16. R2 - Base of royal/medium blue.
(shown without any inclusions to show true colour)
1- Black – Night sky effect.
2- Blue – Rich mid-tint blue.
3- Yellow – Bright toned yellow.
4- Fuchsia – Deep Pink colour.
5- Lime Green – Bright vibrant green.
6- Light Pink with Purple Undertones.
7- Sky Blue – A Light bright blue.
8- Orange – A bright and vibrant orange.
9- Red – A Deep true-red colour.
10- Silver – A bright silver colour.
11- Green – Light green colour.
12- Purple – Deep, royal purple.
13- Starlight – Shimmer without colour.
January – Garnet – Mars Flecks or #9 Red Shimmer
February – Amethyst – Aurora or Galaxy Flecks, or #12 Purple Shimmer
March – Aquamarine – Neptune Flecks or #7 Sky Blue Shimmer
April – Diamond – Comet, Halley or Mercury Flecks, or #10 Silver Shimmer
May – Emerald – Meteor or Pulsar Flecks, or #11 Green Shimmer
June – Pearl – Comet Flecks or #10 Silver Shimmer
July – Ruby - Mars Flecks or #9 Red Shimmer
August – Peridot – Jupiter Flecks or #5 Lime Green Shimmer
September – Sapphire – Uranus or R2 Flecks or #2 Blue Shimmer
October - Rubellite Tourmaline – Nebula Flecks or #4 Fuchsia Shimmer
November – Citrine – Saturn Flecks or #3 Yellow Shimmer
December - Blue Topaz – Uranus or R2 Flecks or #2 Blue Shimmer